Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Stepping Heavenward

I have a very terrible habit of never finishing books. It took me three years to finish "Disciplins of Grace", by Jerry Bridges, and it has the appearance that would fool anyone that I had read it 5 times over. Well this book "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss has that same appearance but I have read it NONE times. I was spring cleaning our bedroom and saw it on our bookshelf and I picked it up with a sigh as I recalled how badly I wanted to read it and how over the years I would attempt and attempt but never could really get into it. Pages are falling out of and the entire books looks like it was dumped in a pool. Actually I took it to the beach and a tide came over it...sand is stuck in the binding and everything. Well I began reading it the other day and it struck me how much of myself and my heart I saw in this young lady who is journaling from the age of sixteen throughout her life durng the 1800's. There were so many rich fruits and pearls of wisdom that this young lady was documenting as she was growing in her walk with the Lord and in her understanding of God himself. I was so compeled by her longing to know and love Christ more and it moved me to follow along with her as she sought the Lord.
Needless to say I am very compeled to begin and finish this book this summer.
Anyone want to read it along with me? I need some accountability to finish this one so please ask me about it in a month's time. Any takers?
I am also reading Shepherding a Child's Heart, Helper by Design, and doing a Reading the Bible in year plan. So I am hesitant to even add this one. But with your help,...please ask me about my reading with these things! I want to be disciplined in reading and also to finish it. Thanks family and friends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lil!

I really want to try to finish that book. I started it and didn't finish. I think I got to her teenage years and lost interest. I hear that is when the story really picks up. So, yes I would love to read that with you but I am going to wait until I finish reading Transforming Grace which should be in the next week or two. If you wait for me then I'll join you. Maybe we can plan a time that we both read it so that we know that we are reading it like 3:00 pm in the afternoon or 9:00 pm at night. I don't know. One of my goals this year was to read that book! Especially after reading chapters of Prentiss' biography. Let me know... Trill.

lillian said...

Hey trill!
Yes let's do that.
I had already started it over..but I think I am only in the 1st chapter.
My reading times are random. But typiclaly ryan and I will read right before bed. But I like doing my bible reading then. But I will read some of this book then as well. How bout we call or e-amil weekly to check on how the reading is going and share our thoughts on it?
I'll postpone further reading till I hear from you so we can do it together.
Yea!! I am so excited! This will be so fun!
love lil

Elizabeth said...

Hey Lil! This is on my list to read this summer too! I love that book. I read it in college, but have been wanting to read through it again. Let me know when you begin it! Love, eb