Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chinese speaking man


So since we have been married Ryan has always talked about us teaching our children Chinese. And now that we have A child he talks about it more.

Yesterday I got home from the park with Krista and Ryan comes up to me and starts saying something I cannot understand but I was almost certain it was maybe Chinese or some Asian language because he bowed to me before he said it. He had just downloaded a how to speak Mandarin program and was proudly telling me what he had learned. (My parents both grew up speaking Cantonese, which is mostly spoken in Hong Kong, and Mandarin is the dialect spoken in China. I can understand enough Mandarin to get the jist of a conversation. ) So for the rest of the night he would learn a little bit more and tell it to me. Sharon and Lon ( my sis and hubby) were learning it on tapes last year so he called Sharon and wanted to see if she could understand him.

Well, he called and she didn't awnser and than a few seconds later the phone rings. Picking up the phone, Ryan says " Ne how?...", which means how are you and then a long string of other words. Then he hands me the phone and says ,.." it's for you,..it's not Sharon. I don't know who it is...". It was Kelly League my accountability partner and we all died laughing! Later that night we did get to talk to Sharon and she could understand him.

All night I'd be in the bedroom or in the kitchen, and I'd hear what I thought was Ryan talking to someone but actually was him repeating over and over to himself what he had learned.

He is really excited about it and wants to try to put them on CD's so he can listen to them during the day. I'd like to listen to them as well and refresh myself so I can start teaching her words like water, milk and please in Chinese. SO mom and dad, when you come in May she may just be speaking a bit of Mandarin! " I love you paw paw and neye neye", says Ella Reese.

5 comments:

Laura said...

That is so sweet and FUNNY of Ryan!! Thanks for letting us know about this one. What a hoot!

Frances Vineyard said...

That is sweet! A great story, thanks for sharing!
Fran

Anonymous said...

So Ryan is learning Mandarin, Matt knows a little of Spanish, and I am learning Farsi and I know how to speak Turkish lol. Wow, our family is becoming more open-minded lol.

Meg Jones said...

Hey Lil. That is so funny. I couldn't stop laughing because I can totally see Ryan doing that!

Doris said...

Yeah Ryan! Hen hao! (very good) I also have a dream to sign up Tim, Evie and I for Chinese classes because they need to learn and I need to brush up. Then, one day, when we all hang out, we can all say stuff in Chinese to each other! How fun!