Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer Reading


I say "summer reading" because it will probably take me the rest of this summer and then maybe the rest of 2008 to finish the books I am reading right now. I have always been a compulsive snacker when it comes to reading. I see a book that I am enticed to buy and read. Then I imagine all the cozy evenings snuggled up with my book or mornings reading in the brisk fresh air pouring over every page. Then my reading habits turn into snacking..a bite here and there but no real nourishment. And do you know how my ambitious desire to read ends up? With a library of books collecting dust. After a week of trying to insert reading times in my day, other things ( kids, house, hubby) seem to push out my desire to read God's Word and other spiritual nourishing books. I have piles of books that are half read and never finished.

So if you are in the same season as me, busy with little ones at home, you can probably relate.
But for the rest of this summer, all by God's grace, I am aiming to be disciplined in my reading. My soul desperately needs it!!!


Maybe everyone in the blogging world can help keep me accountable. My aim is to water my soul with the refreshing truths of the Gospel, becoming more aware of the idols my heart so easily leans toward, grow in Faith and faith in prayer, become more in awe of God's majesty and power and finally to cultivate more of a love for my home and serving my family. I know, ...it's a large load but I am trusting in God to do all of these things~
Here are the materials I am diving into:
The book of Ephesians
"Transforming Grace" by Jerry Bridges
"Gospel Primer" by Milton Vincent
Along with this I am listening to the messages of our past women's retreat and any messages by Piper on the majesty of God.
What are you reading right now?
I'd love to hear from all you mommas on what your quiet time looks like, when you read, any tips, tricks, routines or habits you have learned to apply to your life.
Leave a comment so we can all benefit and learn from each other!
I know that I certainly need all the help I can get!

No comments: