Our church celebrated it's 20th Birthday last Friday. So along with a special church celebration, there was a "Cake Boss" competition, after the TLC show. All the Care Groups came with a cake with a Happy Birthday CCK theme.
I have always loved decorating cakes. Making them...I am not so awesome. I just buy a box of cake mix.
But I jumped at the challenge because I so love decorating cake. I had some help with the baking...
Now let me confess something. I am ambitious when it comes to creative things....and contests of all things. So I researched some cakes and I made up a plan that was highly ambitious. First, I was going to attempt to use Fondant icing. This beautifully smooth rolled icing that you usually see on Wedding cakes. And I wanted to make my own butter cream icing. I know...crazy huh?
But I did it! And I am hooked. I love Fondant. And the recipe I used is awesome and yummy!
The very next day we went to Sharon's house for dinner and I whipped up a Birthday cake for her and used some left over Fondant to cover the cake. I did not get a picture b/c we were in such a rush. But it was oh so cute and delish!
Here is what was submitted in the contest. The little house on top is suppose to be our church building. Before the bushes were added, it looked a bit like a Hobbit house.
I am waiting for another opportunity to make another cake so I can cover it with Fondant. The start of the month of May? A Happy Monday cake? A Mother's day cake...for myself?! I really am not a cake person at all. I usually only eat a piece and push away the icing. I just love decorating them!
I am tempted to make a cake so I can have it just sit on my counter so I can look at the beautiful smooth white Fondant Icing. And when no one is looking I do like to smell and touch it. Weird,..I know. You need to have one on your counter and you will soon realize the same effect it will have on you!
Here is a link to the super easy Fondant Icing. Check this out...the ingredients are marsh mellows and confections sugar.
I also used this same woman's butter cream icing. It was tasty...a bit too sugary for my taste. I did not like using it to write with. But when this caked was serve only half the top and half the church was left. So it must have been good. For Sharon's cake I used Duncan Hines White Icing. It was yummy. I will be using it again.
The cake mix I used, which is also my new fav cake flavor, is Duncan Hines White Cake. The combo of the Duncan Hines icing and cake and fondant is delish!
Get your bake on~
Or come to my house...I may just have one in my kitchen.


No comments:
Post a Comment