
We all went to Sharon's Art Show at Webb a few weeks back. It was in the evening and Ryan and I were taking turns with each kid. Just being at an Art Show with the kiddos made me nervous. The possible bad scenarios ...well, I tried not to think of it. So with Dean in the stroller, I tried to move quickly. He was getting restless and wanted to walk. I stopped to admire artwork from one of the Art teachers Sharon teaches with at Webb. We talked for a moment. She looked down at Dean, much like many people do, smiling and cooing. I knew she must be remembering her daughter at this age.
She raised her gaze at me and came in close to me and said,
"I would trade places with you in a heartbeat!".
I will sometimes hear people say something along the lines of that. But she said it with such passion and meaning that I thought she was going to take my stroller and run off with Dean!
I was really taken back at how much she truly meant what she was saying.
And as she began to talk about how "fast it goes at this age", and mow much she missed them this little...my mind drifted as I was stuck on that one phrase she spoke to me and how much she meant it. Here was a woman who has the freedom and time to pursue her painting and hobbies. I have not lifted a paint brush since, well... since Ella Reese has been born. I was struck at what this woman was willing to trade for just another moment with her little ones again. One more moment training, teaching, changing diapers, potty training, wiping noses and mouths...etc...
Trade places with me!?
My heart was immediately humbled and grateful.
Any aggravations or irritations I may have experienced earlier that day melted away.
She was so right. And I knew she would have stolen my child had I not had my hand on that stroller.
And I still at times will remember her leaning in to me and saying those words to me.
It often brings me to complete thankfulness for my two little gems. And any complaining I am tempted to utter, I am quickly silenced.
Not only does God's word command me to not complain, but on top of that my discontentment masks the vision of what a gift my two babies are!
Thank you Lord for reminding me of this!
I will start going to more Art shows now...I promise!!!
An excerpt from one of my new favorite books, Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. The cover can be deceiving. This book may look fluffy and entertaining, but it is jammed pack with wisdom!
"Here is a sweet fragrant mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God; and the body in which it dwells is worthy all it will cost, since it is the abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained one dearer than them all, to whom, while I minister in Christ's name, I make a willing sacrifice of what little leisure for my own recreation my other darlings had left me. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to your mother's heart, welcomed to her time, her strength, her health, her tenderest cares, to her lifelong prayers! Oh , how rich I am, how truly, how wonderously blest!"
No comments:
Post a Comment