Saturday, March 22, 2008

" How are you doing with two kiddos?"

My good friend Joz asks me this question in an email. I get this asked by several people and so I copied what I wrote back to her...just so you could see a sample of what my days are like. I am soooo thankful for my babies and know they are a gift from the Lord!


"with 2 kids i am def busy. makes the days go by fast, for sure.it is challenging a lot of the time. it is my temptation to become anxious and to think that i don't have control over a situation. i have to with each scenario think to myself,..okay what is most important right now?

for example, just an hour ago here is what happened.... dean woke up hungry. er is hungry too. so i feed dean on one side while i give er a piece of cornbread to snack on while watching cartoons. i forget that cornbread is crumbly and remember this when i look down to see crumbs around her. oh well, at least she is entertained and happy. I will pick up the crumbs later..or maybe tommorrow. dean makes a pretty loud diaper. er is still hungry and whining for a snack. i decide then to change dean first cause if i lay him down to give er lunch, i don't think he will lay there content in a dirty diaper. and er can live through her hunger for a bit, so i get er to follow me to deans room to change his diaper. she "helps" me which means she pours all his diapers on the floor,..climbs onto the changing table trying to grab diaper cream and then tries to eat it..etc. after changing his diaper..i hear him poop again. i change it. no lie..he makes 2 more after that. by this time er is entertyaining herself with toys on the floor. er has been telling me that she has a poopy,..so i let dean lay on the changing table while i change er on the floor. on the way to the living room, i turn the washer to a rinse cycle.
i heat up spaghetti for er and feed dean on the other side at the kitchen table while she eats. i snag a bite here and there. i burp dean then lay him in the pack n play in the living room. i eat some more. i hear dean make another diaper but decide to leave it till er is done eating, i can't leave her in her high chair..and especially with spaghetti. she decides to eat for a long time...which i was happy to see cause usually she will eat then want down...then wants to get back up etc. but also becoming anxious that dean is laying in poop and i hear him start whining a bit. i cover him with a blanket- maybe the warmth will soothe him. it does.she funishes eating and i wash her down. i put her down for her nap then chnage dean. snag some more food cause i am still hungry.
i swaddle dean and give him pacey and check my email while i console him to sleep in my arms. i am typing this with one hand and..ahhh...he is asleep! and things like that happen several times a day all day. i just have to lay aside house cleaning and make decisions where both kids are safe, fed and not sitting in poop. multi-tasking to the max.

god has given me much grace for each of these days. and each morning i remind myself that today the lord has already portioned out a certain amount of grace for me specifically for this day. soo am i going to place my trust in him or myself? and as much as it bugs me that right now there is spaghetti all over my kitchen table, and the laundry has been sitting now in the washing machine for an hour- wet, and clean folded laundry is laying on he couch..and dean's room is a mess from ella's help...i will prob finish this email, put dean down then try to take a nap before hey both wake up. cause i need that rest.

i hope you are not discouraged to have kids. god gives much grace and joy. as crazy or tiresome as the above sounds..it really is a joy! it makes it all so sweet and fun when er is eating her cornbread and looks up at me and says "ma ma" and points at me and smiles. and when dean coos at me after changing the 2nd diaper. and when i decide to see if er understands me and ask her " will you give mommy a diaper for dean?"..and she looks at me, hands me a diaper then takes a diaper and box of wipes to her room. maybe she is trying to change herself? and when i am nursing dean and er is making a spaghetti mess she tells me all the animal noises she knows and laughs at herself. this is a short season and so sweet in so many ways. it makes it all a joy for me!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need a vacation...I'll watch the kiddos! I'm off Wednesdays! Call me!

Casey said...

You are so very encouraging to "observe" during this season! Thank you for sharing, Lil. I pray the Lord will continue to fill your days with such inexhaustible joy.

Melanie said...

I'm very encouraged to care for my one little baby with joy after reading this Lil. Thanks! This makes me feel like a lightweight.. kind of the way I feel when grocery shopping with London anxiously and then I see a mom nonchalantly walk in with her 4 children attached to her in different forms with a smile on her face. Man, I've got a lot to learn!

Anonymous said...

That was encouraging to read, Lil! Thanks for sharing in such detail and honesty. I respect you and all other moms with young children. Even though I don't have children yet-- I am learning much from you. Thanks!

I can't wait to see you and Dean!

Love,
Kim